Things have been scarce around here, and I am so sorry about that. With work, my studio’s production of The Nutcracker, and starting my first official month as a writer for Cinema Blend, I’ve had next to no free time. However, things are finally starting to re-calibrate for me, so things will get back to normal here on mine blog. So I thought this week’s Fandom 5 was the PERFECT post to usher me back into the world of normalcy. This week’s list is all about blogging goals and resolutions for the new year. Here are mine:
1. Schedule and plan posts better. For a while there, I was pretty good about keeping a schedule and planning my posts ahead of time. However, that just kind of randomly died out with a whimper. In 2015, I really want to be intentional about visualizing what I want the coming month to look like at Distracted Blogger, and planning/scheduling posts to meet that vision.
2. Promote more. Y’all know I hate this, but if I want to grow my readership and the DB community, I need to be better at promoting. During my season of good scheduling, I feel like I was doing a much better job at pulling in readers…
…but once the scheduling fell to the wayside, so did the promotion. In the coming year, I really want to focus and plan ways to find more readers to add to the existing bunch of awesome and amazing readers that are already here!
3. Engage in online communities better. I’m a part of an awesome Google+ group called Female Geek Bloggers, and it’s really helped me find some other awesome, fun geek blogs. I need to do a much better job of reading and commenting on those blogs, engaging in the FGB group more, and just generally reaching out and engaging with other bloggers in the geekosphere. I’m so very introverted, both in real life and online…
..which means I have to be really intentional when it comes to engaging with other humans. I plan to use 2015 to really plug in to the geek blog community. Besides, I genuinely like the women who populate the Female Geek Bloggers group, so I’d like to virtually hang out with them more.
4. Update the blog’s look. I don’t know what I want specifically, but I’m always trying to see what I can find to make the site look more slick and more professional.
While I don’t think I’ll ever have the perfect page, I want my site to continue to grow and evolve, both content-wise and in how it looks. Last year I got the awesome Kerry from Kerry’s Nerdy Habitat to design me some logos and banners for the site, and that really added a touch of awesome. So I’m really going to have to get creative if I want to top Kerry’s amazing work on my site!
5. Add more of me into my blog. I write a lot of news stuff and opinion stuff, and I like writing that. However, I’d like to find a way to infuse a bit of me into the blog as well. I’m not sure what exactly that will look like, or what I’m even trying for here. I don’t want this to turn into my own personal diary of a blog by any means. However, I’ve often wanted to talk a bit about stuff I geek out about apart from your traditional geekery. Namely, I’ve wanted to talk about my ballet endeavors around here, but I haven’t really found the best way. In 2015, I’d like to figure out some sort of a monthly or every-other-monthly “ballet break” of a post. I don’t know what it will look like, but I think it could be cool. I do tend to talk about ballet more on my Twitter and Instagram (like my pic below from this year’s Nutcracker). So if nothing else, I’ll at least have some ballet stuff there.
Bonus Point: Add in some nerd-crafting. I have like five different projects that I want to accomplish, If I can get myself on any sort of a crafting schedule, I would really like to have a nerd-crafting section around here. We’ll see though…
What are some of your New Year’s resolutions, blogging-focused or otherwise? What are some things you’d like to see here on the blog? Let me know in the comments! And, as always, be sure to check out my other Fandom 5 posts, and see what other bloggers are resolving by following the hashtag, #Fandom5.